Thursday, April 2, 2009

Stop That Incessant Clicking!


Yesterday was damp, drizzly and cool. Definitely not the most motivating of weather for riding. The barn was bustling when I arrived with the farrier shoeing at one end, my trainer teaching away in the arena and a fellow border grooming her horse. I pulled out all my tack and grooming essentials, popped some all important mints in my pocket and headed out to see the Beeburr.

B was all alone in his field today, as Lance had been pulled out for his work out. B was happily munching grass, much to the relief of his mother's heart, when his long lost friend Lily came walking down the drive. Trotting over to see his gal pal I noticed that I think he is really pretty tall...like everyone including the measuring stick have been telling me. As he stood by the three board fencing, the top rail came up to the bottom of his chest. If he ever channels his inner Riverman I may be in trouble. 

Our lesson focused on lateral suppling, straightness and adjustability. We chugged down the quarterline as I looked in the mirror to make sure his pretty little face was right in the middle of his chest. We also worked on some flowing lines with a shoulder-in feel. As we proceeded into the canter, I realized that I need to step up my expectations. Beamer is getting stronger by the day and now demands organized boundaries that help him balance and keep the energy flowing. And...because I have a show coming up in a couple weeks, my trainer also nailed me for my "use of voice." Images of -2 keep flashing in front of my eyes...I swear I'll stop. The lure of the click is just too much sometimes. All of this fun stuff will be worked on tomorrow, during our next ride. It's actually quite nice out today, but alas I have a final presentation and paper due that I've put off long enough. 

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to ride in my brand new boots! Wa hoo!! After being fitted for them in January, I just received the call 10 minutes ago that they are in and ready. Even though they cost as much as a mortgage payment, I reassure myself by saying they will last me a long, long time. Plus, as I tell my hubby, it's motivation to stay shape cause Lord knows I won't affording another pair for a long time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment