Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mr. B turned Mr. Boo Boo


I'd like to start this entry by asking everyone who reads about my young horse adventures to keep a friend of my'n in your thoughts for the next few days. I arrived at the barn today to take care of my pony, and my trainer explained that my good friend had to be airlifted away after her young horse took off at full speed in the field during a routine workout and proceeded to throw her into the fence post. Apparently she had some serious cuts on her face, but she was talking. Events like this are always a severe reality check at the dangers of what we do, especially with babies. I hope to hear an update tonight and y'all will be the first to know. Update: She has to have surgery, but she will be OK. Whew.

Now back to the Bman. I went out to the barn on Tuesday to meet the vet for his second set of spring shots and do our normal gym workout. It was chilly out, so I threw up my parka hood, which, yes, I bought in Canada and went to get the B. He was, of course, in the farthest corner of the field just hanging out with Lancer. After walking him through the grass I noticed a line of blood dripping from his left fetlock to his hoof. It wasn't swollen and B certainly hadn't taken any notice of it, so I figured those were good signs. On closer inspection, it was a pretty good gash. He even has managed to take the hair off the inside of his other hind leg, so I'm guessing he did it to himself with his shoe. Oh, B. The vet quickly gave B his spring shots before examining the cut. It's never fun when the vet says to you, "The only thing I'm worried about is if it went right down to the joint." Oy vay. Really? After B received some happy juice, the vet injected the joint on the other side with saline (? I think) to check if it came out of the cut. Talk about some tense moments. As B's head lay practically in my lap..mmm...drugs...I lost a few years off my life. Ok, maybe not a few years, but definitely three weeks to a month. Nothing came out. WHEW! "I think we may be lucky." That's a better line, thanks. The vet ended up putting in stitches and wrapping it. B is on antibiotics for the next 7 days and stall rest for probably the same amount of time. I have to give B props for good timing. At least he saved his mother a little bit of money...and a heart racing phone call.

The bandage came off for the first time today and I am super happy to report that all is well. :0) No swelling or lameness. One of those perks of having a young horse, at least this one, is that they heal well. Good pony! Beeburr is allowed to be hand walked, so we did the horse-approved kind of hand walking: grazing. He was very well mannered, especially after being in for two days. Even when another horse took off playing he just raised his head for a moment then went back to munching. Like the clinician I covered this week said, "I've always liked a horse I can bribe." 

B has already gotten out his first horse show. I guess he's even more talented that I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment