Monday, April 6, 2009

Sleepy B


Well, my boots are on there way to being broken in. How can I tell? By the large chunks of flesh missing from the back of my legs. Sounds lovely doesn't it? I certainly got a few questionable looks on the treadmill this morning and this time it wasn't just for the wheezing.

B was a little suspicious of the new boots. When I got on, which took a couple tries seeing as my lower legs felt like lamp posts, B immediately turned his head with that "What in the world are those?" look in his eye. He sniffed them and decided they may be tolerable for now. Yup, my boy is one of those sensitive-types. If there were ever any doubts, that moment cleared them up. As we walked, I did my best to stretch out the heel by standing in my stirrups like a hunter kid about to enter the equitation ring. The best was my first transition to trot, which anyone who has been flowing my journey knows is not our strong suit anyway. He actually responded immediately but as he felt me spring up 10 feet during the first post he walked right away. I had to apologize to him for that one. New boots=trampolines in the heels. The first 5 minutes were not pretty as I worked to stretched the heels of the boots. We had a couple stops and starts. Overall he was fairly understanding about the whole thing.

Anyway, we've been stuck inside for our last two rides due to the rain, but we were able to venture down the driveway at least. For the first time under saddle, we walked down the giant hill at the end of the driveway. Beamer stayed on a loose rein the whole time and figured out that in order to stay in walk down the hill he would have to keep him weight behind him. I did my best to help by keeping my weight back as well. He was überadorable as we walked back up, taking big, super slow strides. I could feel him saying, "Ok Mom, hold on. I'll get us there!"  Mints awaited him at the top.

We had a late night ride yesterday, as I covered a clinic in the morning and had to work on my presentation in the afternoon. My husband, entirely motivated by the fact that he didn't want to finish the other items on his hunny do this, decided to tag along. B likes seeing Daddy. As my hubby says, "B loves me more cause I don't use him for my own selfish reasons. I just give him mints and pats." It makes me laugh every time I hear it. 

It was around 6:30pm when we arrived. When I turned the corner and said, "B!" in my slightly irritating mommy voice he looked up and did a throaty nicker that sounded remarkably grown up. I knew that I had interrupted his after dinner nap time when I placed him in the cross ties and they became a hammock for his head. During our workout his tiredness became obvious. When B's tired he finds a soft spot to lay his head, which ends up being my hands down to his knees. Adam taped the session and at one point B stumbled a step in front. It was hilarious to watch because his face right afterward clearly said, "Whoa, what happened, when did I get here?" Oh, B. After we cantered he perked up a bit. He was very rideable, just sleepy. 

It should be a busy B week seeing as we have the horse show next week. Time to break out the trailer again. Yee haw.

No comments:

Post a Comment